Do you ever find yourself pondering the question “Why was I born and what is my purpose in life?”. I believe we all go through this at some point in our life (and especially with a new year beginning) when we are searching for guidance and answers for our life. What do I want to be? What are my goals, ambitions and dreams for my future? When we ask ourselves these questions, we are focusing solely upon ourselves for the answers in which our life’s true purpose will never be revealed.
If you are wanting to know why you were placed on this earth, you must first begin with seeking answers from God, not yourself. For God created everything and everyone. You were made by His purpose and for His purpose, and until you can grasp that truth, you will not understand the purpose for your life.
Jeremiah 29:11 – “And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God”
The purpose of your life is far greater than your own happiness or personal fulfillment. It is even greater than your career, goals and ambitions. You won’t find your life’s purpose by looking within yourself because you didn’t create yourself. God created you and God is the only one that tell you why He created you! God never created anything without a purpose, so the mere fact that you are alive means God has a purpose for your life?
Colossians 1:16 – “For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him”
Here are five purposes that God has laid out for us to use as a road map for our life:
- To develop a relationship with God through His Son, Jesus Christ – to know and love God!
- To be a disciple for Christ – committed to following God’s will daily.
- To seek God’s will through study and prayer – seeking guidance through God’s Word (Holy Bible) and through communication with God (prayer).
- To seek guidance from the Holy Spirit and from godly men and women – God places godly influences in our lives to help us understand the direction He is pointing us in and to trust God in faith that His will in our lives will be accomplished.
- To use the gifts and talents God has give us for His service.
Now, I have given you a snipplet of what the five purposes that God has planned for our lives, but I will be taking each of the five purposes and exploring them in more depth in upcoming articles. So stay tuned ….
Readers: Do you believe you know what your God given purpose in life is? Are you using your talents for the Lord? Please share any inspirational thoughts and insights that you may have.