Many people may call themselves a friend but how many of “these friends” are a true friend? True friendship is a rare blessing; a friendship that is fragile, humble and always encouraging.
I find myself reflecting on the value of a true friendship and through my own personal experiences, I have identified my top ten (10) characteristics of what I believe constitutes a true friend.
Top 10 Character Traits Of A “True” Friend:
- A true friend is a good listener. Whether you are talking about a good experience or a bad experience, a true friend listens. They don’t interrupt, they just listen, allowing you to express your intermost feelings.
- A true friend is sensitive. A true friend is very aware of the needs of the other person. They know when to be there for you and they also know when to keep silent. A true friend has great understanding and compassion.
- A true friend is faithful. A true friend with stick with you when you are on the mountaintop and when you are down in the valley. A true friend is quick to say i’m sorry and quick to forgive. Through faithfulness, the friendship is strengthened; just as it is when we are faithful to God.
- A true friend gives unconditional love. No matter what trials, struggles, failures or even successes you may have, a true friend will love you at all times.
- A true friend has unwavering support. Even during times of uncertainty, pain or wrong decisions, a true friend supports you at all times. They will be there for you no matter what.
- A true friend is loyal. A true friend will stick up for you and defend your honor even when you are not present.
- A true friend is humble. A true friendship cannot last if built upon a foundation of pride, boasting or competition. So the communication between true friends need to be generously sprinkled with humility; cheering each other on during your successes and comforting each other during time of loss.
- A true friend will help you. A true friend will help you out in your time of need; whether it be helping you with household chores or cooking dinner while you are sick, or just being there for you.
- A true friend gives grace freely. A true friend will forgive each other when needed and love you even in the bad times.
- A true friend is honest. The best gift that a true friend can give you is honest affirmation and honest correction. This type of honesty is earned from showing all of the above characteristics.
Here are some bible verses that go along with being a true friend:
John 15:13 (NIV)
“Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends”
Proverbs 17:17 (NIV)
“A friend loves at all times, and a borther is born for adveristy”
Proverbs 18:24 (NIV)
“A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.”
1 Corinthians 13:4 (NIV)
“Love is patient, love is (NIV) kind. It does not envy ….”
In short, true friends will build each other up emotionally, spirtually, and physically. They like to share time together simply because it feels good and makes them happy. True friendships are rare treasures!
Readers: Have you been blessed with a true friendship? What traits do you feel are important to have? Would love for you to share.